Wednesday, 02 December 2009

How do you keep from accumulating too much stuff?//clothes, books, dvds, cds, makeup, etc.?

Hi, I have worked a lot to stream-line my life but there are a few problems I am still having, I can control the amount of clothing by throwing out one item every time I buy a new one, and of course buying else, but what about things like books and dvds? Or makeup, which you need a variety of for different occasions? For books I prefer to buy them rather than use the library because of availibility and cleanliness, convenience, etc., and dvds are just great to have around. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!How do you keep from accumulating too much stuff?//clothes, books, dvds, cds, makeup, etc.?
I only buy something IF I know I need it.





When I know I an collecting too much, I periodically go through my stuff and get rid of non-used stuff. I donate books to the library. Clothes and other stuff goes to charity. (tax write off besides helping people).





You can also sell used books (after you have read them) on Half.com. It's really easy.





Recently we told our daughter %26amp; son-in-law to help us to a ';clean sweep'; - like the TLC show. They helped us simplify our life. Having an outside person we trust really helped.How do you keep from accumulating too much stuff?//clothes, books, dvds, cds, makeup, etc.?
I know exactly where you are coming from. I have struggled for years with clutter and have found that there are 2 extremes; 1. too simplified where you spend more on things because you don't own it already (as in buying when not on sale because you are afraid to stock up) or 2. too much of everything.





I have found that the best way to handle things is to make sure everything has a ';home.'; If you buy something and have a place for it then you are ';streamlining.'; Whereas if something will have no place or overflow a closet, drawer, etc. it is too much and clutter. Thus, everything is about organization. Some really great sites to look at are Marthastewart.com and realsimple.com. They have the best ways to organize specific things like cds, etc. and help you streamline. Good Luck!
every few months go through your stuff and chuck some stuff out!
Do you re-read your books or watch the DVD's more than once?


If not then I suggest a book store that will take used books and resell them, you can make a bit of money and at the same time get rid of stuff just lying around the house. If you do not watch the DVD's over again then have a yard sale a couple of times a year. Clothes instead of throwing them away give them to good will same with your shoes. We watch our DVD's over and over again and I do not re-read my books so we have a book shelf that holds the DVD's and I take the books that I read to the used bookstore here in town. You can also donate the books to your local library most of the time you should check this out. Hope that helps a bit at least.
i try to get rid of anything i haven't used in 3 months or more if it doesn't have sentimental value
I have a dvd burner so I copy all my dvds then sell them as a lot on ebay for money. My books if I love the I keep them but most of the time I either give them to a charitable cause or sell them on ebay. Clothes go to good will if I never wear them. Make up is only good for so long.
OK this is what you do, u get all the stuff that u really don't need put them in groups, ex: shoes with shoes, books with books...etc. Then get some paper and makers and price all that stuff so u can have a garage sale, then u could make a profit, if you sale the stuff for a good deal. And what ever doesn't sell give to the needy, like the salvation army, or donate it to the women's shelter, or places like that. Or you can keep having a garage sale until you get rid of all the stuff you don't want.
well for books. I buy heirloom leather copies of books that I want to keep. But these would not necessarilly be anything but REAL literature or biographies I buy a lot from


CDs you can buy as much as you want from like iTunes. No CD there. Just BACKUP your files to memory cards.





I packed away my CD/DVD cases and keep my actual discs in an album.





Throw out cardboard boxes. They not only attrack bugs but you can usually stack clear plastic storage totes and see whats in them.





We also bought the Sony ereader. I reviewed it on my website.





Don Aslett books are FUN quick read on organizing and decluttering.
maybe sell a few things that you have never really used or watched etc,,,..liek for example shoes and clothes is easy b/c you could get rid of them b/c either they don't fit anymore or the style is out. For making room get some storage boxes that you could decorate or shelving to put up...I have the same problem with clothes and shoes and most of the stuff I don't wear I give away..and make more room and get extra hangers :) lol..I need alot of hangers,,,Hope I helped!
  • Fish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    Fish